Even though we wish there was a quick fix to lose weight, there is no magic bullet to make the number on your scale match your target weight or how you feel about yourself. Many of us are using weight-loss strategies that either do not work or might even be backfiring because we think it will make the process faster.
Below are six strategy mistakes people make for losing weight and tips on what you can do instead.
- Working out more, but eating less – When you work out more, your body will crave more food, so you can fuel your body. When you cut your calorie intake while working out more, you will deprive your body and risk binge eating. Also, restricting your calories can lead to metabolic damage which can hinder you to lose weight. Remember to fuel your body with the proper nutrition you need for your body and workouts.
- Working out too much – Some people think working out all the time is an easy way to lose weight. In fact, working out too much can have a reverse effect because you end up burning muscle in addition to fat, you put more stress on your joints which can lead to injuries and the stress hormones in the body is increased which makes it harder to lose body fat. It is better to commit specific time to working out and to remember to give your body a chance to recover by planning time for recovery like taking a day off from a specific exercise routine.
- Skipping Breakfast – Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, it gets your body started and going for the day. When you skip eating breakfast, your body goes into starvation mode, where it stores food rather than using it for fuel. Also, you will tend to eat more at other meal times when you are probably not as active which can hurt your weight loss journey. Remember to have breakfast because it is a great way to get your body and metabolism going for the day.
- Cleanse or Detox Diet – Cleanses and Detox diets can be dangerous for you. Besides depriving your body of nutrients, it does not teach you healthy sustainable eating habits. It may seem like a fast fix, but usually after you are done with the cleanse or detox diet and back to eating regular food, you will gain the weight you loss back and maybe more. A more effective weight loss strategy would be to find a healthy eating plan and sticking to it.
- Doing too much of one exercise – When people do only one kind of exercise to lose weight, like cardio, they end up not losing weight as fat and not toning their body. It is better to do a combination of exercises which include cardio, strength and conditioning to change your body composition. Our bodies get used to workouts, so it is good to switch up your routine every four weeks. In addition, doing a shorter and more intense workout will keep your body guessing. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) has been proven to burn more calories in less time and provide an after-burn post-workout that can last up to 24 hours.
- Eating not enough Carbs and too much protein – Many of us have heard to lose weight, you need to cut your intake of carbs and eat more protein. Not eating enough carbs and eating too much protein can backfire You might lose weight at first, but it will be hard to maintain long term. Carbs and protein are needed to fuel your body. When working out you burn carbs first then protein. Carbs provide the body with fuel and energy which is needed for daily activities including exercise. Protein is needed to build and repair body tissues and structures. If a diet has insufficient carbs or calories, protein can be used for energy. You want to make sure your balanced diet consists of both, carbs and protein.