If you like bagels and want a healthier option, here you go. You can eat these bagels for breakfast, lunch, snack or dinner.
Ingredients for Bagel Dough (8 servings):
- 2 cups Self-Rising Flour *see how to make self-rising flour
- 2 cups Greek Yogurt, plain and nonfat (Fage Total 0%)
Ingredients for Toppings:
- 1 Egg, large
- Pinch of Fine Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Water
- Seasoning, everything but the bagel, seame seeds, poppy seeds or whatever you want
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place parchment paper on baking sheet. Lightly coat paper with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine Self-Rising Flour and Greek Yogurt with spatula until the mixture clumps to a dough.
- Dump the mixture onto a lightly flour work surface. Knead the dough by hand for about 5 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. Dust with flour as needed to prevent the dough being too sticky.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Shape each portion of the dough into a ball. Use your thumb or finger to make a hole in the center of each ball and shape the dough into a circle. Flour your hands as needed to prevent stickiness. Arrange the bagels on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl mix together the egg wash by whisking the Egg with Sea Salt and Water until smooth. Brush the egg wash mixture over the bagels. Sprinkle desired Seasoning over the bagels.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, rotating the baking sheet midway through.
- Remove from oven and increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 3 to 4 minutes, until the tops of the bagels are slightly brown.
- Serve warm or cooled down.
*How to make self-rising flour: combine 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt.
Remember, you can try different toppings. Have fun with the toppings!